- Stimulating, Monitoring and Coordinating the development of the MSMEs sector,
- Initiating and articulating policy ideas for micro, small and medium enterprises growth and development,
- Promoting and facilitating development programmes, instruments and support services to accelerate the development and modernization of MSME operation.
- Serving as vanguard for rural industrialization, poverty reduction, job creatioin and enhance sustainable livelihoods.
- Linking SMEs to internal and external sources of finance, appropriate technology, technical skills as well as to large enterprises.
- promoting information and providing access to industrial infrastructure such as layouts, incubators, industrial parks.
- Intermediating between MSMEs and the Government. SMEDAN is the voice of the MSMEs.
- Working in concert with other institutions in both public and private sectors to create a good enabling environment of businesses in general, and MSME activities in particular